Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Unpredictable

I’m looking at an abstract painting in my writing room(I’m so lucky to have a space to write). The painting, a deep pink with midnight blue stripes, some dots and a brush of deep red through the middle, reminds me that there are so many things we don’t know. That life is mysterious. I don’t know what exactly lives inside the middle of that painting, or what has lived in the mind of the nun, Sister Mary Corita, who painted it. I know she wanted world peace. I know she loved poetry. In my class today when we talked about “round” characters, the first phrase in the text we use by my friend, Abdul Jabbar, is that round characters are unpredictable.

I’ve been thinking about my book coming out and what will be the “unpredictable” nature of the experience. And that, I can’t predict. Refreshing, mysterious, annoying, out of my control and ultimately delectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment